Studies continue to reveal that leaders who participate in coaching are more effective and exhibit long-term vitality in their personal lives. The primary purpose of a coaching relationship is to provide the church planter with guidance, direction, skill, clarity, confidence, development, and methodology, while cultivating a communion with God and a balanced personal life.
The core components of one-on-one coaching include:
Specialized Coaching Options
Disciple-making was the core priority of Jesus, yet most churches have no clear pathway for devloping disciples for mission. Maturing in the character and competency of Christ does not happen by accident. Do you have this pathway in your church? This coaching group equips missional practitioners to design a concrete discipleship pathway. The core components of this specialized coaching group include:
- Craft context-informed discipleship practices and postures
- Identify concrete markers that define your pathway
- Draft an initial version of your discipleship pathway
-Develop assessment tools that refine your pathway
Leaders consistently face the temptation to care for everyone else but themselves. This soul-care coaching group equips people doing kingdom work to intentionally care for their whole lives: intimacy with God, deepening self-awareness, spiritual companions, and vocational calling in order to be a blessing in the world.
- Identify your spiritual personality
- The Inward Journey (emotional health, self-awareness)
- The Upward Journey (intimacy with God, identify as the Beloved)
- The Withward Journey (vulnerable community, spiritual companions)
- The Outward Journey (nurturing personal calling, physical self-care)
- Craft a personal Rule and Rhythm of Life
Spiritual Companioning is a form of spiritual direction. It is a space to be “with God” and “for others” for the sake of the world. This coaching group cultivates basic spiritual companionship principles through group praxis. We will learn and immediately apply a model of prayerful listening and response that sheds light on the movement of God’s grace in our lives.
- Compassionate presence
- Prayerful listening
- Contemplative silence
- Reflecting / Noticing
- Offerings / Invitations
- Discernment principles
The ancient practice of spiritual direction helps people cultivate ways of noticing and knowing God in their everyday lives. Spiritual directors accompany others in their deepening friendship and intimacy with God; integrating the sacred and secular in their lives; increasing in awareness of how God communicates with them personally. We host a sacred space for prayerful reflection, dialogue and silence where we listen together for the Holy Spirit’s presence and guidance.
Personal spiritual direction might be for you if:
- You desire for your spiritual life to grow and find greater expression.
- You are facing a season of personal change or and desire to attune yourself to God’s guidance.
- You are in vocational ministry and need a safe, compassionate space apart from your ministry.
Matt Alexander is the co-founder and Lead Pastor of Rhythm, a network of Missional Churches scattered throughout Miami, FL, and a church planting coach and writer with the V3 Church Planting Movement. Matt is married to Evette and they enjoy life with their 3-year old daughter Emery and an extremely fluffy cat, Jada.